Our Law Firm

How we can help

With 26 years of combined legal experience, our lawyers strive to help our clients get the things they lost in US customs seizures back. Our trained customs attorneys have won many cases for people in the past. Learn more about working with us by contacting us today, call to set up a free consultation about your case 877-406-6906.

We understand you are probably reeling if you just found yourself dealing with US customs seizures of any kind. Don’t worry, though! Help is available to you. In fact, we specialize in assisting clients whose assets have been seized. If you need a customs lawyer, you have come to the right place. You can learn more about each customs attorney who works in our office on this page. Don’t go through this painful time alone; let us help you.


We can help, call us at 877-406-6906

FinCEN 105:  

You also must fill out a Currency Reporting FormFinCen 105, as you pass through Customs and Immigration. According to the government, larger amounts of cash are reported to the IRS cut down on money laundering, as well as for crime prevention. Remember, all of this applies to leaving or entering the country.

 Failure to declare monetary instruments in amounts valued more than $10,000 can result in its seizure. If you are caught crossing the border with any amount of undeclared cash in excess of $10,000 USD you will almost certainly have it seized from you.

We can help, call us at 877-406-6906

Traveling Companions

As if the declaration rule wasn’t difficult enough for the uninformed traveler, whether you are traveling with a family member or even a friend if you as a group have in total $10,000 or more, you cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency. This includes: Cash in any currency, Traveler’s Checks, and Authorized Checks. 

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, you would have a total of $11, 000 in your possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts of over $10,000, their monetary instrument(s) could subject to forfeiture and could result in civil and/or criminal penalties. 

How Long will this take?

What are some differences between you and the federal government? For one, if you and your spouse get into a disagreement you can’t just shutdown instead of reach a compromise. Number two, it is unlikely that you have a job where you have absolutely no deadlines whatsoever.

However, that is just the case when it comes to Customs related money seizures. While petitioners must adhere to a strict schedule and file their Petition within 30 days of receipt of the CAFRA notice, federal officials have no such deadline. Theoretically, they could not issue a decision on  your petition indefinitely. 

We can help, call us at 877-406-6906


Case Experience

There are four main ways that you can proceed once your property has been seized by customs. You should have a full and complete understanding of all four of your options to choose the best fit. Our attorneys will explain each of these options and advise you on which one we believe is the best fit based on our many years of experience.Those options are as follows:

1. File a petition

2. Abandon the Property

3. Offer in Compromise

4. Judicial action

In most cases, we find that filing a petition with CBP, and resolving the issue administratively, is the best option. This is because it is the quickest and cheapest method to prevent forfeiture.  That being said, there are times when making an Offer of Compromise or instituting formal judicial proceedings is best. Call us at 877-406-6906 for a Free Consultation.


Our team

Brian F. Garmo


Matthew Van Steenkiste


Contact Us:

Call us at 877-406-6906 for a Free Consultation.


Have a money seizure case? Get a free consultation by our one of our experts lawyers